Hosting And Creating Your Website
Hosting And Creating Your Site
Hey this is Don Archer again. In the last video I showed you how to choose and buy a domain. In this video I’m going to show you how to get your site hosted, install WordPress, and choose a theme. After you’ve done all that you’ll be ready to embed your video, which I’ll show you how to do in the video after this one.
Before we get started I think it’s a good idea if I recap why it is we’re doing all this. From the beginning of this video series I’ve said that having video on your site, video that’s relevant to the search terms your customers are using, attracts attention from Google. This attention can raise your standing in Google’s search results in more ways than one.
- First, because you have quality, relevant content Google will choose you over someone without video.
- And secondly when your website visitors stay more than the 10 seconds it takes to get your number and leave, Google will start to see your site as “Sticky”. And sticky is just a term that means people stay on your site longer than usual. So when Google sees that people are hanging out on your site for longer than a minute or two, they’ll want to send more people your way.
Think about it this way. Google’s got an army of spider robots that monitor everything behind the scenes. When they see that people are staying on your site longer, then they, the robots, believe they’ve done a good job of directing them there. So they’ll want to up-their-game and send more people your way, because it’s so popular. Of course it doesn’t happen overnight and you’ll want to have other things in place as well, but video is great way to start building credibility with Google.
Ok let’s head over to Dreamhost where I’ve purchased a domain that I’m ready to get hosted. While we’re there I’ll show you how to install WordPress.
After you get your site hosted, and installed WordPress, you need to choose a theme. A theme is just a website template where the individual pages, media, and content can be displayed.
You have a lot of options when designing your site.
- You can pay a developer to design one for you
- You can buy a premade theme
- Or you can use one of the free themes that WordPress provides
For now I’m just going to use one of WordPress’s free themes.
Ok there you go. In this video I showed you how to get your site hosted, install WordPress, and choose a theme so that now your website is up and running. We’re almost done with this video series. In the next one I’m going to show you how to embed your video on your site.